Why is it whenever I have mindblowingly difficult things ahead of me...I procrastinate until the last possible moment!? The only reason I have is perhaps it is in these final moments when I receive the most clarity. As of this moment there are a trillion things I'm thinking about in regards to Spain and the prominent you-probably-shouldn't-go kinds of thoughts...and yet, in the middle of all the negativity that has paralyzed me from packing my suitcase...there is this little sliver of glimmering light. This little ray of optimism shines brightly and says "what if its wonderful." I feel one can never be ready for these kinds of things. All one's preparation, no matter how sincere or meticulous--it never prepares you for actually walking out the door and getting on the plane.
I've been dreaming about returning to Spain since the moment I left it 4 years ago. Now the day has come and it is completely on my terms. I can truly say I have never felt anything quite like this in all my little life--this complete amalgamation of fear, joy, excitement, doubt, uncertainty and sheer bliss. I think travel is the best education anyone on earth could ever receive. Going to a foreign country is like returning to the purity of your youth...even for just a moment. You're a baby again--baby eyes and ears to the world around you.
One thing that I absolutely adore and I couldn't be more grateful to learn more about is how travel teaches us about humanity. No matter what language they speak or what strange food they eat or clothes they wear--this person has a beating heart. He/She wants good things for themselves, their families, they want to have fun, celebrate being alive, honor what is sacred to them, protect what is precious, respect the teachings of the past and show you what gives them passion. I feel the more we can learn to embrace this above all other things the better the world will be.
Though it is Barcelona...an incredibly modern, cosmopolitan city where an eager, idealistic 20- something will fit right in and probably not encounter too much culture shock. I feel a bit silly speaking so dramatically...perhaps if I were going to a dark jungle in the Amazon or war-torn nation in the East; such poetry would be appropriate. Still, it is what my heart speaks. It is still a new adventure where the roads are uncertain--where the path is yet to begin. Through all the doubt and emotional septic tank back-up, I have to get on that plane tomorrow. I have to do this...for me, for the Kimberly 10 years from now, and above all, the Kimberly right now. I'm at the edge of the diving board...
This is my goodbye to all the loves in my life--family, friends, teachers, the eternally beautiful Arizona sky...I love you all with a fervor and passion that I can't articulate. I do this for you. You are all sewn into the very fabric of who I am and I will carry your spirits with me on my journey to new lands. No matter what happens, I wouldn't change one moment of my blessed life whether it lasts another 50 years or another 50 minutes... thank you all so much for the love and support you have given me. I leave you with these...
“Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you traveled.” --Mohammed
"The world is a book--those who do not travel read only one page." --St. Augustine
“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” --Maya Angelou
Thoughts, reflections, growth, new places, faces, feelings and great lessons. I am a graduate student wandering around adulthood.
Friday, August 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I added you to my blog love. Lets get together before you leave if you have time.
Um, I take that back about the last comment-- I think you are in Spain already =D hah. Anyway, I will be emailing you regularly and being jealous that you are living a grand adventure. =D
get some churros and hot chocolate for me. how do you say hot chocolate in spanish? cocoa caliente?
I am so excited to read what happens to you.
Post a Comment